Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Fun With Debugging Tools For Windows

So I've been having troubles with Visual Studio C# Express Edition and decided to try and debug it. Well I think I found the problem and that's not really the point of this post.

As part of the Debugging Tools there is a special tool... Called Kill. Excerpt from the help file to show you just how powerful this tool is:

Terminate forcibly

The following command terminates processes whose names begin with "my*." It does not prompt for confirmation. This command succeeds even when this process is a system service:

kill /f my*

Notice carefully the words "does not prompt for confirmation" and "This Command succeeds even when this process is a system service"!! Well after reading this, and seeing the example... my mind made the obvious next step. 'what happens if i run kill /f *' I couldn't resist the temptation... so I ran it from the command prompt... It blue screened and I'm fairly sure kept right on killing things in the background until it force ably restarted itself. After doing it I was like, "... wow that was awesome" and then got back to work. I was kind of half thinking and kind of half not thinking it wouldn't work. I mean something that kills all processes, including system ones! without prompting... kind of cool. You might be able to run it against a remote computer too, using another tool included with the Debugging Tools for Windows.There really are allot of cool features and things you can do with the tools, including Kernel Debugging on Windows Vista, if you change a setting.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

No comments: